Tuesday, July 29, 2008

A very special day...

Today is another day where we can all be grateful. We are all healthy and together. If that wasn't enough, don't let us forget it is MY MOTHERS BIRTHDAY! What could make it better than that? Or what could make it worse? Well, other than the fact that I wasn't around to start off such a spectacular day, not too much. Jerry and I left early in the morning for Santa Barbara, so we began to celebrate my mother's birthday a day early. It's almost mandatory to have birthday week anyway.

To start off the celebration, yesterday, she had a full day at the doctors and then she spent some time at Shutter's having brunch with Sumako and Laurie. Fortunately for us, she wasn't too tired for her favorite italian meal at Angeli with her fan club. Delicious as ever and  the gnochi of the day, which was Beet with sage butter, was exceptional. Not too surprising. If that didn't top off the wonderful "pre-birthday-bash," she also was given the gift of a life time (or at least my dad would agree). Even if he bought her something that he, too, really wants, it's the thought that counts. It was a Nintendo DS with this special brain game that he read all about in the Stroke of Insight book. Don't be fooled, Jerry Ross is a master reader and has done his homework. Alice seemed to enjoy the game a little too much and couldn't keep her hands off the device, but let's just see how my mom wavers when she gets started. 

And today, after making it home from a long strenuous day of straight terror in Santa Barbara, mom had even more going on with all her different peeps working her hard. I must say, the house looked particularly beautiful with the variety of flowers spewed about. How lovely. Alice and I cooked a great meal of salmon, corn on the cob, salad, cheese and crackers and rice pilaf. We had her real birthday day meal outside on our patio. That was immediately followed by some ice cream with fruit and cookies. She had a new travel scrabble set, thanks to my phenomenal brother, Jack (I think he might of told me he has a new article for football in the daily cal, check it). Alice had to study for finals, but Jack, Mom and I went to Ocean Ave. to the bluffs to watch the sunset while Rex strolled around pretending to not be dreadfully afraid of the other doggies. I'm glad I am able to be around today for my family and stick around the house when I really don't want to. I do what I am told and I don't thrive off of impulse today. It's weird, but its good and I would of missed all of this true beauty and love if my life weren't exactly how it was right now.

I just wanted to thank everyone for your calls (even if you didn't get through, she knows you called) and birthday wishes and generous contributions. You know, this is going to be a financially draining period for us as we are beginning to see what we are realistically looking at. Spread the word an
d again, thanks for everything. Yet again, we celebrate my mother in her successes and are able to recognize how wonderful she has been for all of us and the mark she has left for each of us is beyond comprehension. She just.. is. 

1 comment:

Molly Sturges said...

Hey you guys,
Sending much love from New Mexico. Been thinking of you so much and LO-sending you prayers so often.

I have started writing a series of new music pieces and will be recording an album to help raise money for Lo. It is one thing I know I can give and while it may not be the biggest fundraising idea- I am fairly sure it can be something.

I wondered if you all could send me things that inspire you, stories about things that LO loves or is inspired by. Not that the songs will be specifically about that- but it always helps to have inspirations at the beginning of a creative journey. I have asked Marcia and Emily to sing on it and I have access to many fantastic musicians to help. I am hoping to have it wrapped up by mid-October.

Thanks much and send me stuff at mollysturges@gmail.com or call me at 505-660-9473. Love, love- Mol